Monday, July 9, 2012

Make this: kid's mud pie.

For Finn's seventh birthday, he really wanted a mud pie. (even though I didn't even realize he knew what that was ?!?)
Since traditional mud pie features coffee ice cream, I improvised and made ice cream pie with a dirt cake top for maximum silliness. It turned out fantastic.


You'll need:
2 kinds of ice cream (I used chocolate & vanilla)
One package of Oreos (I used Trader Joes, because that's how we roll)
1/4 cup of Butter
Jar of Carmel Sauce (the Trader Joes caramel is fantastic)
Jar of Fudge sauce
Salted peanuts & chocolate chips. 
Whipped Topping
Food coloring
Chocolate Almonds & sesame sticks for rocks and twigs.
Gummy worms
A couple of days.


Step 1: The bottom
-Preheat oven to 350°F.
-Place 30 Oreos in the Cuisinart. Try to get Oreos to a consistent crumby mush. Pour in melted butter and blend until well combined.
-Pat wet crumbs all over and up sides of pie dish, making an even surface.
-Bake crust for 8-10 minutes.  Cool before filling.

 Step 2: The Layers
-Scoop soften ice cream into cooled crust. Tightly cover with plastic wrap and freeze for a few hours.
-Carefully spoon on room temperature fudge and stick back in the freezer for a few more hours, covered with plastic wrap.
-Scoop another softened ice cream layer onto the pie.
-The caramel sauce I had was a little runny, so I used salted peanuts and chocolate chips to weigh is down.  I put in back in the freezer for a few more hours, tightly wrapped, of course.

Step 3: The Top
- I tinted softened whipped topping with brown food coloring gel. I spread if on the frozen pie and topped with lots of dirt flair: crumpled cookie crumbs, sesame sticks, gummy worms and a few different kinds of chocolate almonds than looked like pebbles.
-After I covered the finished pie with wrap, I left it in the freezer until birthday time, which was about 24 hours. It was very well received and very delicious.



1 comment:

  1. UMMMM....where are the blog posts my dear!!!! WE miss your updates :)

    ReplyDelete